In preparation for the next Therapeutic Creative Workshop – a 4 week Mask Painting workshop which focuses on The Face of Pain, The Face of Pleasure – I reviewed some of my past journal pages on pain.
This page is still in progress but it is an example of how to start your own non-verbal expression of feelings.
Here’s what I did and you can too. It’s easy.
- Cover the page by smearing craft paint on the page with an old credit card. Let dry.
- Pick, quickly, spontaneously and intuitively pictures that represents pain. I used magazines. ( The pictures can be a literal, symbolic or metaphorical representation.)
- Cut away the entire back ground of each picture so you have just the basic images.
Processing for Understanding:
Even though my page is not finished I am beginning to see some of the unconscious meaning.
- 3 Hands: Only one hand is complete and that is the right hand where the arrows are pointing. My pain is directed at my whole being
- THe largest hand has no fingers, only a thumb. Without opposable finger on that hand I cannot grasp what pain has “handed me” in life.
- The third hand only has fingers. Again, without a thumb I cannot grasp.
- There are 3 round circles that reach between the two hands, almost like “thought bubbles” reaching across the page. Both hands trying communicate with each other?
I’ll do more on the page and let you know how it progresses.