since my birthday seems to come around on the 13th every year!
“Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old.
All you have to do is live long enough.”
Many years ago my good friend Bernice and I were sitting in a motel room eating doughnuts for breakfast. We picked this motel because it had free doughnuts and coffee every morning.
It was just before our birthdays which are a few weeks apart.
A bit giddy from not sleeping well on motel mattresses and slightly inebriated on chocolate covered doughnuts, we decided that if we were going to get older each year we would at least take advantage of our accumulating age. We created OUR BIRTHDAY SEASON.
Here are the rules in case you’d like to have your own Birthday Season.
- Beginning on the day of your birth your season lasts the number of days you are old. Consequently every year your Birthday Season is one day longer. With me so far?
- You are to celebrate your birth the entire season by choosing whatever you wish to do, or NOT do, each day. So far so good!
- People give you presents the entire season. SO GOOD, so far!
- You must be over 50 to qualify for Birthday Season status. (Over 50 you need more time to have fun because it takes you longer.)
- You may start your Birthday Season before the day of your birth. But you cannot exceed the number of days you are old.
- Those who are under the age of 50 can celebrate a Birthday Season as long as they don’t tell anyone or demand presents. (Gargle thoroughly after breakfast to eliminate tell-tale Birthday Season Breath.)
- You must eat doughnuts everyday for breakfast during your season. (If you don’t like doughnuts you can choose anything you want as long as it isn’t healthy).
- Every day of your season you must be grateful for being born and still being alive. (After your Birthday Season is over you can revert to moaning about your age).
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU’VE EVER BEEN,
YET THE YOUNGEST YOU’LL EVER BE,
SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.