“There was a gentleman by the name of Sylvester Graham, and he invented the graham cracker because he thought it would be a deterrent for people’s sex lives. He lived at a time where foods were becoming processed, and thought that part of processed food and rich foods led to what he called ‘venereal excess’ and led people to being a little too focused on their libido. And I can only imagine, as a guy who thought that processed foods and sugars were bad for you, what he would have thought about s’mores nowadays using his graham crackers.”
A former baseball player, Josh Chetwynd wrote How the Hot Dog Found Its Bun: Accidental Discoveries and Unexpected Inspirations That Shape What We Eat and Drink. The above is an excerpt from one of the 75 short essays that trace the history of popular food and dispel common misconceptions.
Breakfast* Bars to make Sylvester Graham happy!
Golden Graham S’more Bars
1 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows (Approx. 6 cups)
1 12 oz. package semi sweet chocolate chips
5 tbsp. butter
8 cups Golden Graham cereal (one 12 oz. box)
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
- Place package of chocolate chips in the freezer to chill.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan, set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, add in 5 cups of marshmallows and stir until almost completely melted.
- Stir in vanilla if desired.
- Remove from heat and transfer butter mixture to a large mixing bowl and add cereal, stirring to coat.
- Once cereal is coated, remove chocolate chips from freezer and add to cereal mixture.
- Add in the remaining cup of marshmallows. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Press cereal mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Cover and refrigerate until set. Turn out onto cutting board and cut into squares.
- Keep stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Makes approximately 20-24 bars depending on how big you cut them.
*Cereal is a breakfast food