It’s easy for me to forget that with a chronic medical condition(s) my body itself is the stressor. Pain is a signal that something is wrong and tells all my systems to be on alert . . . 24/7
This is a comprehensive easy to read article on stress and provides an excellent reference.
There is a check-list in the article. I love check lists so of course took it. Here are my surprising results:
Stress Warning Signs and Symptoms
- Memory problems No problem, no memory.
- Inability to concentrate I am a great multi-tasker
- Poor judgment Posting this post
- Seeing only the negative I can barely see past my own nose.
- Anxious or racing thoughts Never, I concentrate on relaxing
- Constant worrying “What me worry?”
- Moodiness Only when I’m moody
- Irritability or short temper I get irritable when my temper is short.
- Agitation, inability to relax I try to relax all the time
- Feeling overwhelmed This list is overwhelming
- Sense of loneliness and isolation I long for isolation . . .
- Depression or general unhappiness Eh?
- Aches and pains That’s what’s creating the stress in the first place.
- Diarrhea or constipation There are limits to my self disclosure.
- Nausea, dizziness Does ditsy count?
- Chest pain, rapid heartbeat No kidding!
- Loss of sex drive X-rated, no comment
- Frequent colds Only my feet
- Sleeping too much or too little Much is more
- Isolating yourself from others What other’s? Remind me who they are.
- Procrastinating or neglecting responsibilities Who me?, never! I’ll get to my paperwork . . . soon.
- Using alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs to relax My drug of choice is carbs
- Nervous habits (e.g. nail biting, pacing) Shaking my foot
- Eating more or less More is more
This stress checklist has irritated me. I’ll decide if I’m stressed after I eat some cake and relax .