To PLAY a bit and loosen up a LOT I took a cheap sheet of paper and threw watercolor on it randomly, ala a “Carla-Blob”. (Carla will put a “blob” of color(s) on the page and then discover an image inside the “blob”). I was deliberately looking for a frog image.
Here’s a bit of my process: (wasn’t on planning on sharing this so I didn’t take a picture of the original blobs of watercolor without the froggie – )
Blob of watercolors, aha! there’s a frog! Outlined with pencil (I made up the feet) There are other critters there but I ignored them because I WANTED a frog.
Deepened color with pastel chalk to highlight froggie and used white chalk on some of the other areas to make them lighter. Added yellow chalk so Froggie isn’t floating in space.
Tore scraps of paper, moved them around on page. (Liked orange to bring out the orange in Froggie). Drew white lines just to anchor the orange reeds – thought black lines would make it too busy and confusing and just wanted it simple.
wanted more “reeds/trees” to be in distance so I tore smaller pieces
No more time to play and Froggie “felt” finished . . . I’d better get back to my office paperwork now so I can feel finished too!