Seventy days of celebration for my 70th BIRTHDAY SEASON! Starting December 6th.
This year is different: I am going to celebrate my birthday season starting 70 days BEFORE my actual birthday (rule #2).
This year is different: 70 is OLD. At least 70 was old when I was growing up. And since my life expectancy is to live only 17 years and 4 months longer I figure I shouldn’t wait til I’m actually 70 to begin my birthday season. (see post: I only have 17 years and 4 months to live)
This year is different: Instead of eating doughnuts (rule #6). I am going to do/make something CREATIVE every day (or eat junk food); Some of it I may post . . . some of it I may not . . . I do NOT want to be held accountable because at my age I may not remember what I’m being held accountable for . . . and even if I remember I don’t care.
For those of you who are new blog readers (and for those of you who are OLD and don’t remember) I am reposting the story behind My Birthday Season and the rules (in case you want to celebrate your own birthday season).
The Origins of My Birthday Season
Many years ago my good friend Bernice and I were sitting in a motel room (don’t go THERE – we were at the motel, attending an imagery conference) eating doughnuts for breakfast. We picked this motel because it had FREE doughnuts and coffee every morning. It was just before our birthdays which are a few weeks apart.
A bit giddy from not sleeping well on motel mattresses and slightly inebriated on chocolate covered doughnuts, we decided that if we were going to get older each year we would at least take advantage of our accumulating age. We created our BIRTHDAY SEASON.
Birthday Season Rules
- Beginning on the day of your birth your season lasts the number of days you are old. Consequently, every year your Birthday Season is one day longer.
- You may start your Birthday Season before the day of your birth. But you cannot exceed the number of days you are old. With me so far?
- You are to celebrate your birth every day of the entire season by choosing whatever you wish to do, or NOT do. So far so good!
- People give you presents the entire season. SO GOOD, so far!
- You must be over 50* to qualify for Birthday Season status.
- You must eat doughnuts everyday for breakfast during your season. (If you don’t like doughnuts you can choose anything you want as long as it isn’t healthy).
- Every day of your season you must be grateful for being born and still being alive. (After your Birthday Season is over you can revert to moaning about your age).
*If you are under the age of 50 you can celebrate your Birthday Season as long as you don’t tell anyone or demand presents. (Gargle thoroughly after breakfast to eliminate tell-tale “Birthday Season Breath”.)