We’ve been posting Happiness Hacks from our coming book “Neuroscience – Hacking Your Way to Happiness”. The book has been in process for 2 years and we want you to be happy NOW. So we created a 2021 calendar with 12 of the 22 Happiness Hacks.
Rick (Judy’s out-of-the-box-thinking brother) sent her a neurochemical hack for “curing her fibromyalgia funk”.
We didn’t get it in time for the Hack Your Way to Happiness calendar so we’re sharing what Rick sent in this special post.
Here are our questions:
Do you see the family resemblance?
2. Should we include Rick’s neurochemical “hack” in our book?
“The active ingredient common to all alcoholic beverages is made by yeasts; microscopic, single-celled organisms that eat sugar and excrete carbon dioxide and ethanol, the only portable alcohol.”
“Ethanol has one very compelling property: it makes us feel good. Ethanol helps release serotonin, dopamine, and endorphins in the brain, chemicals that make us happy and less anxious.”
- DRINK ON A FULL STOMACH (that doesn’t mean balancing a beer on your belly) High-protein foods help slow the absorption of alcohol into the circulatory system and burn it off.
- KEEP HYDRATED (with water, not wine). Water improves the processing of brain chemicals such as serotonin and dopamine.
- SIP IT SLOWLY (nothing to add, we just like the alliteration) Your body absorbs alcohol quicker than you metabolize it. The faster you drink, the more time the toxins in booze spend in your body, affecting your brain and other tissues, and the bigger the hangover will be in the morning.
- ONE PER HOUR (drinks, not miles) Metabolism depends on several factors (gender, weight, age, health), but in general, most people can metabolize roughly one drink an hour.
- ADD SOME ICE (we’re not referring to the Rapper) Diluting alcohol with ice or water will increase your time between refills and decrease its effects on your body and brain.
- DON’T MIX ALCOHOL WITH DRUGS Whether it’s flu medicine, painkillers, sleeping pills, antibiotics, prescription meds, antidepressants – you name it, it doesn’t matter.
- Alcohol Packs on the Pounds (We’ve saved one of the worst for last) Alcohol is calorie-dense.
Alcohol intake is for adults – 18 years and older but our Happiness Hacks Calendar is G-rated
*P.S. We bought calendars for ourselves with a Zazzle discount coupon. Make sure to check out the Zazzle specials. Remember! Half of the 5% profit we make is donated to The Gentle Barn Animal Rescue Charity.