Dear Freddie Fans,
Because I’m not allowed to go anywhere without a leash I KNOW how to cope. This week I will share what you humans can do. Since I’m Editor-in-Canine-Chief for several blogs I have a trove of posts to share with you. Here’s today’s bit of my wisdom.
Get out of the house. Just remember to keep 6 feet of distance from other people, Find an area where you won’t encounter crowds.
- Pot a plant
- Repot house plants.
- Weed, mulch, rake & mow
- Start birdwatching. Coronavirus hasn’t bothered birds. Download a birdwatching map. Sit in your backyard or near a window.
- Take a brisk walk You can still exercise – It helps your immune system be strong.*
- Go on a stroll. Sniff around and clear your mind.
- Sit outside & breathe fresh air. Notice things about the world around you that you didn’t see before.
- Bike ride.
- Meditate, journal, draw in your yard or patio.
Resting after munching the lawn, bird watching, walking and sniffing.
*Exercise which increases immunity and reduces the stress response . . . even if it’s marching in place for 5 minutes without a leash.
Take a 10 minute walk outside – 5 minutes out and 5 minutes back. The colors of nature are also calming to the brain.
Sports fans are going bonkers since all the games are canceled or have no spectators. Don’t go bonkers it’s not becoming, unless you are in a parking lot, eating hot dogs and drinking beer from the back of your pick-up truck. Do these things instead:
- Become an expert. Read up on your sport so that when your team starts playing again, you’ll have even greater insight into the game.
- Show your team some love. Tweet them a positive message or send them a photo of you wearing team gear in solidarity.
- Even better, support a charity that your favorite player loves.
- PLAY FETCH
- Practice painting your face in the colors of your favorite team. Keep your “art work” above the neck. Bare chests make you look like an “animal”.
- Revisit an old game. You know the one – The game that made you fall in love with the sport. If you have a subscription to a sport-specific streaming service, check if they have your favorite game. YouTube has clips of large collection of games.
- Play Keep-Away or Dodge Ball. No yard? Use balloons
- Watch sports documentaries about games of the past and present.
- Donate all your clothes that aren’t in the colors of your favorite team.
- Pretend you’re an athlete and do calisthentics. (If you don’t know what calisthenitics are do jumping jacks).
- PLAY FETCH
- Go Bonkers!