A blogger friend asked me this question. Can compassion be taught?
My primitive thoughts:
1. To be compassionate we have to put our egos aside. When self-importance, personal need, greed drive us compassion fades.
2. People must be willing to learn. What’s the saying? You can lead a human to God but you can’t make him believe.
3. Humans can be taught HOW to be compassionate toward others.
An example that I come across every time I do couples counseling is that each partner intends compassion while the other partner experiences it as hurt or neglect. The disparity between INTENTION and EXPERIENCE is based on how each of us PERCEIVES our “reality”.
Ex: The man is being compassionate when he tries to find a solution to the wife’s pain and all she wants is a shoulder to cry on and arms around her. A wife is being compassionate when she expresses FEELINGS by putting her arms around him when all he wants is her to bring him a hot meal and stop shopping.
Yes, these are stereotypes but substitute what you “do” to show compassion and you can teach yourself how to match your partners experience to you intention. Just do what your partner wants instead of what you want. Fill out the blanks to figure it out.
- When I show compassion I (behavior)________________ therefore that’s what I want from my partner.
- When my partner shows compassion he/she (behavior)______________________therefore that’s what he/she wants in return.
Almost to a fault you can believe that whatever one person DOES to show their compassion is precisely what they WANT in return.
4. The easiest way to teach compassion is to put the individual in situations with people less fortunate. World travel, volunteering, support groups, charitable work are all ways of finding compassion. Internet chat rooms and forums play similar roles. (I am not yet convinced that having some kind of direct contact is still not the best way to develop compassion but technology has given us the way of behaving compassionately at a distance.)
After compassion is LOVE.
Can you teach love?